Monday, May 30, 2011

Sandie Shaw: This much I know

The singer, 64, on Buddhism, getting older and her lovely feet

I hated every minute of my early career. I was incredibly anxious and there was so much responsibility because everyone was dependent on me for a living and I was so young. I just wanted to go home.

I'm really interested in how people tick. I think that's why I trained as a therapist. Ever since I was 16, people have only wanted to talk about me. I can't tell you how boring it gets. I want to ask others about themselves.

I've practised Buddhism for 35 years. It's practical and does what it says on the can. I don't have to wait until I die to find out if I'm going to heaven because it's about the here and now. That's important to me.

I'd hate to be a man. I feel sorry for them, being so career driven. In the music industry there's so many of them, whereas as a woman you can make waves.

My feet are lovely ? I just sit and look at them. I had an operation recently because I had bunions and my toes were too long. I wanted beautiful feet because I like having my shoes off so much. I still sing barefoot.

I love getting older, though people still treat me like the baby. I'm on tour with Jools Holland and his big band at the moment ? they're all half my age, but the girls act like my aunties and the men like my big brothers.

I cry when I say things I really believe in. I cry at board meetings and the men at the table get quite taken aback, I have to ask them to take no notice.

I feel such affection for my audience, they're part of my life story. I like the youngsters that come along. They don't have any barriers about where music comes from. They just put it in their iPod and shuffle it.

I ignore myself when I feel scared. I pretend I'm not scared and do it anyway.

I'm associated with the 60s, but I'm actually stuck in the 50s. I'm into post-war austerity. I really like doing jigsaws and I collect paper bags. Give me an apple, a carrot and some paprika and I'll make you a meal.

My dad's support was so important. I was his only child, and a daughter, but it didn't bother him. He'd take me to his garage and I helped him make a car. He could have made me help mum with the washing up, but I wanted to be with him.

When I was young there was no one who had anything I wanted to know and I left school as quickly as possible. Now I like being taught and directed, I just like to choose my teachers myself.

I practise dying when I have operations. I think, "This is the moment I'm going to die" when I have the anaesthetic, then it's so nice when I wake up.

I try to like everyone because that stops me being anxious about myself. I'm really shy and I find that helps.

My relationship with my first husband made me grow. My relationship with my second gave me confidence. My relationship with my present husband has allowed me to really fill my own space. Don't tell him though, it'll go to his head.


Sandie Shaw appears with Jools Holland and his Rhythm and Blues Orchestra and Ruby Turner at Summer Picnic Concerts across the UK from 2 July (imlconcerts.co.uk)


guardian.co.uk © Guardian News & Media Limited 2011 | Use of this content is subject to our Terms & Conditions | More Feeds


heidi klum joe jonas haircut sarah silverman conan o\'brien craig ferguson

No comments:

Post a Comment